Thursday, November 8, 2007

Wife Soup

This is a variation of Bubble n' Squeak, which is what my british nanny used to call putting all your leftovers in a pot with some liquid and hoping for the best! I made Bubble n' Squeak one chilly fall day last year, and my husband liked this particular variation so much it got its own special name and a card in my recipe rolodex!

Ingredients:

1 envelope Lipton Recipe Secrets onion soup mix, or any other brand you like
1 14.5 oz. can low sodium beef broth
1 c. plus a splash of water
1 lb. stew beef
1 c. green beans
1 c. corn
1 lg. baking potato, cut into wedges
1/2 c. carrots
pepper to taste

Put all ingredients except for pepper in crock pot, cover. Cook on high 4-6 hours or low 8 hours. Season with pepper, serve with crusty french bread.

Edit 11-26-2007: These are my best friend Lindsey's variations:
Hey! So I tried wife soup out but I had to modify it a little bit since I dont use a crock pot and I dont have a dutch oven. I just sauteed some chopped onion in a pan. Set it aside. cut some steak into small cubes, dusted with flour and browned it (whatever was cheapest at Publix), Remove the meat. Deglaze the pan with a little beef stock. (I used the box kind) Moved the concoction to a pot. Added chopped potato, carrots, and celery, the cooked onion, the rest of the beef stock, Lipton's onion soup mix, and about 2 cups of water and let come to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are tender. Add half a bottle of dark beer. (I used Shiner Bock because it was lying around in the fridge) and then the browned steak. Let simmer for 10 minutes or so to cook off the alcohol. Pepper to taste, and that was it! It tasted just like this irish stew that I always get when I'm in CO. I loved it! mmm. Anyways, thanks for the recipe.

No comments: