Saturday, January 5, 2008

All Squeak, No Bubble

This is a variation of Bubble and Squeak (explained in a previous post) where I was in a hurry so I just used water instead of a broth or other flavored soup-base, and it just didn't look very soup-y and delectable so I discarded the liquid. It's kind of a basic recipe but the hubby and I both enjoyed it, so I thought I'd pass it along.

2 handfuls of rotini (I like DaVinci's)
About 3/4 lb. ground beef, browned
Approx. 1 c. frozen broccoli
~1 c. frozen corn (LOVE Southern Home! It comes in a resealable bag!)
Water to cover
Salt to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
Sauce, dressing, or dip of your choice

Boil water. Salt. Add rotini and oil. When rotini is about half done, add frozen vegetables. When rotini is done, drain liquid. Add beef; if beef is cold, heat over medium until heated through, stirring to keep food from sticking to pan. Makes 3 servings. This dish is kind of bland on its own, but that's part of its beauty. For lunch I poured a little bit of Tostitos medium queso over it, for dinner my husband had it with spaghetti sauce, and for dinner I had it with ranch dressing. It really absorbs and enhances the flavor of whatever sauce you add to it.

No comments: