Thursday, December 27, 2007

My Christmas menu and more

For Christmas dinner, the hubby and I had a 5 pound chicken basted with cream soda (yeah you read that right) and stuffed with cornbread stuffing, gravy, and steamed broccoli and corn. We had gingerbread cookies for dessert, mmm! Now what I really wanted to talk to you about was the cream soda. This is not for everyone (my husband, for example, doesn't eat skin at all), but I LOVED it and would suggest it to anyone who likes the two separately! For a bird about the size I used you'll need about 1/2 liter of cream soda. Put the chicken in the oven dry and stuffed with no liquid in the roasting pan, and then baste with about 1/2 c. cream soda every 20 min. or so. This would probably work with most caramel flavor-based sodas like Coca-Cola or Pepsi. The skin will be black in places very early on but don't worry, it's not burnt at all. That's just the soda. The skin comes out a little crispy but not overly so and has a smooth, sweet flavor while the meat is tender and juicy. The stuffing shouldn't be affected.

Now the other item for today is for your listening pleasure. We received an iPod for Christmas, so I have been learning about Podcasts and one I think any cook will enjoy is Bon Apetit. It is related to the magazine and is very good, though it always makes me hungry! I have not subscribed to it as I don't like every single topic they cover, but I have truly enjoyed the ones I've listened to so far. I especially liked the one on summer desserts. You'll have to check it out, I didn't know this before I got an iPod but you don't need an iPod or any kind of MP3 player at all to make use of podcasts. You can watch them right on your computer, so go check em' out and let me know which ones are your favorites! Oh, and one last thing: Podcasts are free!

No comments: